Clinical Teachers at Canadian Faculties of Medicine
The deans and the faculties of medicine in Canada have expressed a pressing need to support clinical teachers during a period of fast-paced growth and expansion of the MD and postgraduate education systems. A discussion paper released by the Association of Faculties of Medicine in Canada (AFMC) in 2009, offers a snapshot of the clinical teaching environment including the challenges and capacity issues.
AFMC received feedback on the discussion paper from a number of medical education stakeholders. These organizations indicated that there is national momentum to enhance support for clinical teachers and that acting collectively is paramount to navigating the complex relationship between clinical teachers, faculties of medicine, universities, medical associations and governments across Canada.
Canadian Collaborative for Clinical Teachers
In 2011, AFMC established the Canadian Clinical Teachers Collaborative. The initiative is led by a steering committee comprised of 14 organizations of which AFMC acts as the secretariat. The goal is to build consensus among stakeholders on recommendations released in the 2009 Discussion Paper and coordinate a national strategy for implementation.
The steering committee is hosting a National Forum on Clinical Teaching on February 3, 2012 in Toronto. The Forum will feature a panel presentation on key issues on clinical teaching, provide an opportunity to review the recommendations from the Discussion Paper and offer an update on the status of clinical teaching at each of the faculties of medicine in Canada. Individuals and organizations, including students and residents, will engage in facilitated discussions to help define the areas of priority and create a blueprint for action.
- Advisory Committee on Health Delivery and Human Resources (ACHDHR)
- Association of Canadian Academic Healthcare Organizations (ACAHO)
- Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC)
- Canadian Association of Internes & Residents (CAIR)
- Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS)
- Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ)
- College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)
- Fédération des médecins omnipraticiens du Québec (FMOQ)
- Fédération des médecins résidents du Québec (FMRQ)
- Fédération médicale étudiante du Québec (FMEQ)
- Fédération des médecins spécialistes du Québec (FMSQ)
- Medical Council of Canada (MCC)
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RSPSC)