AFMC Decisions Regarding 2023 Resident (R-1) Match
The AFMC Board of Directors has made the following decisions regarding the 2023 Resident (R-1) Match:
- Interviews will continue to be in a virtual format for all, including local candidates.
- The match timeline will be:
- MSPR /transcript submission (not requiring translation) deadline: December 23, 2022
- Application deadline: January 10, 2023
- File Review Period: January 10 to February 6, 2023
- Interview Period: February 6 to February 26, 2023
- Match Day First Iteration: March 22, 2023
- Match Day Second Iteration: April 27, 2023
We understand that shorter timelines impact all those involved in the match process and add additional pressures in an already stressed system. This timeline is a compromise between the pre-pandemic timeline and the 2021/2022 timeline.
The Deans of medicine appreciate the significant resource requirements necessary for a successful resident match in the context of a compressed timeline and commit to following up with faculty education leadership at their school to discuss the impact of the 2023 Resident (R-1) match timeline.
The AFMC Board of Directors also acknowledged the need to revisit the objectives of the final year of medical school prior to determining the 2024 Resident (R-1) match timeline.