Medical Education Stories
Read stories about initiatives in medical education taking place at Canada’s 17 Faculties of Medicine.
- Technology + creativity = Online education in the age of COVID-19The current pandemic has thrown both professors and students into a new educational reality—one that became completely online for the recent Winter 2020 semester and may remain so for an unknown period of time.
- ’Ready to Make a Difference’: U of T Medical Students Graduate in the Pandemic
As students in the University of Toronto’s MD Class of 2T0 prepare for a virtual convocation ceremony, they share thoughts on graduating during a global pandemic and what they look forward to as they begin their residencies. [available in English only]
- Services d'aide pour les étudiants de la Faculté de médecine
T'as besoin de parler? Respire, t'es pas seul, la Direction des affaires étudiantes (DAE) est là pour t'aider. Étudier en sciences de la santé comporte son lot de défis.
Si tu vis une situation difficile dans ta vie personnelle, scolaire ou professionnelle, nous pouvons te conseiller, t'accompagner ou tout simplement t'offrir une écoute attentive.
[available in French only]
- Globalization: Essential for disaster preparedness despite its risksNo infectious disease in history has spread as fast and as far as COVID-19, says Dr. Mark Walker, epidemiologist and interim director of Internationalization and Global Health at the uOttawa Faculty of Medicine.
- uOttawa MD students pitch in to help frontline health workers during COVID-19uOttawa MD students are reaching out to support health care professionals during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, from helping them with child care, groceries and errands outside of work to donating much-needed medical supplies for the frontlines.
- Making “Zoomers” out of “Boomers”
With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) quickly shifted to telehealth as a means of delivering health care in a timely manner. The changes include accessing hospital charts remotely from home, setting up video platforms such as Zoom, and collecting necessary medical data digitally
- McGill group launches program to help Canadians stay fit while social distancing
These are challenging times as the world adapts to life trying to curb the COVID-19 pandemic. Staying at home and practicing social distancing is critical in order to help flatten the curve of the virus’ spread. The downside with this strategy is too much sitting around, weight gain due to unhealthy eating, as well as feeling tired, stressed, and isolated from friends and family.
- U of T Med Students Make Hundreds of Masks for Hospital Training
University of Toronto medical students are making hundreds of masks to deliver to Toronto-area hospitals, to help with training health care providers in use of personal protective equipment.
- Medical students providing support during COVID-19 containment effort
Medical students at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry are rallying to support their local communities and health care colleagues during the COVID-19 containment efforts.
- La Faculté de médecine et des sciences de la santé mobilise ses ressources
En ces temps de pandémie mondiale où il faut plus que jamais se serrer les coudes, l’Université de Sherbrooke a mobilisé ses ressources et lancé de nombreuses initiatives pour contribuer à lutter contre la COVID-19.
[available in French only]